Sticky Tofu Bowl with Florida OJ!
Who else is a lover of Florida Orange Juice?! I know I am! I’ve been a fan of Florida OJ ever since I was a kid, it was always my go to breakfast drink to have alongside my four bowls of cereal every morning. I simply loved the taste of it, but now as an adult I know all the amazing benefits this powerful juice can bring to your body. This March is National Nutrition Month, so why not celebrate with an 8 oz glass of Florida Orange Juice!
There are so many wellness trends out there, I have definitely fallen fault to following just about all of them. With all the latest and greatest trends out there, it’s easy to become overwhelmed by all of it and sometimes we forget about The Original Wellness Drink we can add to our daily routine: Florida Orange Juice! Did you know that OJ contains more than just vitamin C? 100% orange juice provides a large variety of important nutrients that our body craves; not only vitamin C, but also potassium, folate, and thiamin. 100% OJ is also the primary dietary source of hesperidin, a polyphenol found in oranges and orange juice.
If you’re thinking, “Nicolette, what does any of this mean?” Let me break it down for you!
- Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and is significant for skin and bone health, also playing a
big factor in immune system function.
- Potassium is a significant mineral that is needed for the heart, kidneys, muscles, and other
organs to function correctly.
- Folate is helpful for all my pregnant goddesses out there or women who are planning a
pregnancy. It also, may help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease in adults.
- Thiamin is critical for energy metabolism for cell growth, development, and function.
- Hesperidin, that amazing polyphenol, is a helpful antioxidant and has anti-
Among these there are so many other essential vitamins and minerals, even calcium and vitamin D in fortified OJ. Research suggests that this powerful juice may be associated with a variety of health benefits, such as: heart, brain, skin, bone, and immune system health.
Now that I gave you a quick little run down, do you see why Florida Orange Juice is so amazing?! I love to enjoy a glass in the mornings alongside my breakfast, but I also
like to cook with it. OJ is naturally sweet, with no added sugars at all, so it’s a great way to add sweetness to any dish, while also sneaking in necessary nutrients. You can use orange juice in sweet dishes, savory dishes, breakfast items, dinner items, even desserts!
To add my own spin to this classic glass of Florida OJ, I made this delicious bowl of Sticky Orange Tofu! Before, I was vegan, I used to love enjoying orange chicken! It’s challenging to find a good, and delicious orange tofu recipe, so I decided to make my own! I first prepared some crispy tofu in my air fryer, but feel free to make it in your oven. While the tofu was cooking, I made this delicious, tangy orange sauce made from 100% OJ, low sodium tamari, ginger, lots of garlic, and a little sesame oil. The orange juice provided to perfect amount of natural sweetness, I didn’t even have to add in anything else! To pair with the delicious and sticky tofu, I added some orange scented asparagus, sautéed mixed mushrooms and jasmine rice.
This dish is the perfect weekday or even weekend dinner to enjoy! Not only because of how delicious it is, but also knowing all the added nutritional benefits inside.
Yield: 4 servings
Vegan and Gluten Free
Category: Lunch or Dinner
1 cup Florida Orange Juice
1/4 cup low sodium Tamari or soy sauce
1/4 cup coconut aminos
1 tsp sesame oil
5-7 chopped garlic cloves
3 tsp of ginger
1 block extra firm tofu
1/4 cup arrowroot starch or cornstarch
2 tbsp avocado oil or oil of choosing
Orange Scented Asparagus:
1 bunch of asparagus
1/3 cup Florida Orange Juice
3-4 chopped garlic cloves
1 tsp salt
Jasmine Rice or rice of choose
Favorite mushrooms, I used king oyster and Brown Shimeji mushrooms
Toasted sesame seeds
1. First prepare your rice.
2. Next, let’s make the tofu! Grab the block of tofu and cut into cubes. Place tofu cubes into a bowl and toss with oil and arrowroot starch. Place tofu onto your air fryer tray, and air fry for 15 minutes at 400 F. You can also make in the oven for 35 minutes at 400F.
3. Place a large skillet onto your stove and heat up to medium heat.
4. Add a touch of oil into pan, then add in chopped garlic and let cook for 5 minutes.
5. Begin to add in ginger, then Florida Orange Juice, and remaining ingredients, minus the starch
6. Allow sauce to cook for 8-10 minutes, then add in tofu.
7. Saute tofu in sauce for 5 minutes, the arrowroot on the tofu will begin to thicken the sauce. If you notice the sauce needs to be a little thicker, feel free to add in 1 tsp of starch at a time until tofu is coated.
8. For the asparagus, trim asparagus to remove the tough edges. Toss all ingredients together, then place evenly spread out onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in oven for 17-20 minutes at 400 F.
9. For the mushrooms, slice into any shape you desire. Add some oil to a heated pan, add in mushrooms and season with a little salt. Let saute for 8-10 minutes, or until tender.
10. To assemble: add jasmine rice to your bowl, add in Florida Orange Juice sticky tofu, orange scented asparagus, and mushrooms. Garnish with sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
11. Enjoy this National Nutrition Month treat, my friends! :)
Head over to https://www.floridacitrus.org/oj/health-nutrition/buy-florida-orange-juice/ to find out more info and even buy your own Florida Orange Juice!